Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Guest Post: Jami @ Somewhat Domesticated

I've posted my weight loss journey and I am so glad someone else is sharing theirs. You all know that Jami and I are friends IRL and when she told me about this post, I had trouble holding back my excitement! When i found out she wanted to use it as her guest post, I was even more excited! With all that excitement and the excitement of my trip... its amazing I have not wet myself! 

Have you ever wanted to ask your friend how they do it? How do they keep it off and look so good? Well, today my friend  has answered my questions about how she keeps it off and how she still looks awesome! She has also made me feel like I am not alone.... I will let you read for yourself .... 

somewhat domesticated


Hello Busy as a Honey Bee readers, Jami from Somewhat Domesticated here! Simone has been so great in sharing with us her weight loss journey, I thought while she's cruising around Alaska I could share with you mine. This is how I lost over 35lbs 4 years ago, and how I've kept it off.


I'm going to start by stating the obvious, I am not a physician or dietitian. I'm just an average girl who woke up one day and decided to make a change.

On Losing 35lbs:

I can tell you it wasn't one thing in particular that motivated me to lose weight. I was 26 years old, it was just after Christmas of 2007; I was looking through photos on my computer from the last couple of years and I noticed I was looking increasingly 'puffy'. Sitting there staring at those photos, it dawned on me - I was buying size 13/14 jeans and no longer the 11/12 I used to, and I was now a solid large size shirt. That realization coupled with the reality of not wanting to spend the rest of my twenties dreading being in a bathing suit motivated me to start losing weight. At 5'5" and dangerously close to 180lbs, it was time to make a change.
At 179lbs:



My goal was simple, to be in the 'normal' BMI range. In the beginning I followed these rules: count ALL calories, NO fast food, NO carbs after 2pm, NO candy/sweets, NO drinking. I also started to be more active; I started taking kickboxing at the gym behind my house with my roommate & went on small hikes or walks on the weekends. Even adopting little habits like using the stairs instead of the elevator & doing lunges around my house from room to room instead of walking. After the initial 4 weeks I would allow myself a drink here or a sweet there - after all this was a lifestyle change, not a band-aid. By March I had lost 36lbs and was down to a size 8/9.

At 143lbs, feeling like I had conquered the world:



On Maintaining:

In the 4 years since I've lost the weight I have stayed within the 142-147lbs range. I do my best to eat as healthy as I can during the week and tend to ease up on the weekends.

Diet:

I've found that a diet that's high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats (http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm) works best for me. I try to eat 5 times a day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner), but sometimes I snack only once if I still feel full from breakfast or had a bigger lunch. I also try to eliminate carbs after lunch if I can help it, but if I want carbs I'll eat carbs.

Here are the types of things I like to eat:

Breakfast:
  • Smoothie: Spinach Shake or Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
  • Plain non-fat Greek yogurt w/ homemade granola
  • Breakfast Sandwich w/ egg whites on a whole grain English muffin w/ a Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge
  • Oatmeal w/ slivered almonds & a sprinkle of brown sugar
  • 1 Serving of Special K w/ Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk
Snacks:
  • Baby carrots w/ hummus
  • Reduced fat string cheese
  • Handful of unsalted almonds or pistachios
  • Apple or orange
Lunch:
  • Turkey sandwich on a whole grain sandwich thin - replace mayo w/ a Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge (so good!)
  • Salad: veggies, turkey or chicken breast & reduced fat balsamic vinaigrette
Dinner:
Here's some of my favorite, easy recipes:

Drink:

I keep a 32oz tumbler at my desk at work and I drink 2 1/2-3 of those a day. Plus, more water when I get home, I only drink water at home. I also drink my coffee black, with the exception of a trip to Starbucks 1 or 2 times a week where I get an iced Caffè Americano (only 15 cal for 16oz!) w/ a splash of skim milk and 1 Splenda. As far as alcohol goes, I only drink on the weekends and try my best to stick with a couple glasses of red wine or vodka & soda water w/ a lime. But if you know me you know I love beer, so staying away from beer is a hard one for me!

Exercise:

I'll be honest, I absolutely hate working out. For me if I do cardio 2-4 times a week and eat like I'm supposed to, I'm good. Every once in a while I like to mix it up and do a Zumba or Turbo Kickboxing class, but it's all the same to me and I do it because I need to.

This is me now:


A lesson I learned from this: not everything you put in your mouth has to be delicious and rich. Sometimes you have to eat things you don't necessarily care for, but they're good for you. I remind myself of this every day. Also, if you fall, get back up, every day is a clean slate.

Could I stand to lose a few more pounds now? Sure. I've always thought 135 would be my magic number, but you know what, I'm healthy, I'm happy, and my husband loves me just the way I am.


Wow! I learned a lot from this wonderful lady! She knows how to stay healthy and truly knows how to have fun while doing it! I am definitely not alone and I know i need to come to grips with not being able to just stuff food in my mouth whenever i want! She also reiterated the fact that diet is a huge part of being healthy, but you can still have some fun! Thanks Jami for the AWESOME guest post! (Not bad for your first one!) 

Don't forget to stop over at Somewhat Domesticated and follow her!
Photobucket