Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A little e

Well, it almost NOT Wednesday at all, but there's still JOY! 

This week has been a huge answer to prayer for me. For week I have seen my classroom fluctuate and seen my students and us as a staff struggle. I felt like at every turn we were just barely getting by, if that. I prayed for relief from the paperwork, for my students to make better choices, for peace, and even just for guidance! Well, the last couple days have been quite the answer to prayer. While my student's behaviors are far from over, I see where myself, the therapist working with my kiddos and most definitely my aides have all played a huge role in changing these kids! 

At every turn we are attempting to educate them, but they are right there responding with behaviors of their own. Some are violent rages while others are quiet and tearful sorrows. Either way, they are learning. I am blessed with a classroom of 12 tough and challenging young lives. They are often my toughest challenge and an awesome source of hope. I love my students. 

So what has brought me joy this week is TEACHING. Here are a few reasons why:
- One of my students this week was learning the word "have" and for months and months we have been working on penmanship. This young guy has been in my room for more than a year and we have seen a huge spike in behaviors.... but there are often glimmers of what his knowledge is. Well this week, this little guy wrote a lower case "e" with phenomenal accuracy. I shouted for joy when i saw it. Tears actually welled up in my eyes and I could not have been more proud! I know it does not sound like a huge success, but let me tell you, this was like a hurdle had been crossed. Thank you Lord! 
- Another factor is the staffing in my classroom. I feel at ease with the help that i have in the classroom. I continue to be astounded by the support that is given to the students in my room on a daily basis. (If you are reading this - from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!) I see how the interactions of the staff in my classroom have helped my students. I am blessed to work with a team that cares so much for the little kiddos in our room. The best part is there is so much more to come. I look forward to continuing to work on this team. One of my team members is being reassigned next week and truly this person will be missed! It brings me joy to have had such a kindhearted person to work with. 
-I taught the students the water cycle this week. It was a really fun and enjoyable set of lessons and I really had a great time seeing the kids learn. I know i had something different written down in my lesson plan book, but sometimes the ability to roll with the punches and just go with your gut can be down right beneficial. The information I presented really worked for my group of students. Really glad to have taught them something! 

So that is what brought me joy this week. I hope that you found joy in something you did, saw, experienced, or heard. Please feel free to comment below and let me know what brought you joy this week! 
Photobucket