Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My FIRST Post

Hi Everyone! 

So here it is my first post on my very FIRST blog! (Oh how I am already realizing how much I need spell check!) This blog is definitely been in my imagination for a very long time and I am excited to get started. I do have to be honest though that i am a bit overwhelmed by this new adventure. I am still trying to figure out what my blog content and structure will be. So far, I feel I am as busy as a honey bee. I am a wife, daughter, sister, teacher, friend, Christian, cook, and really so much more! I figure I have enough to share so this is my beginning! I do hope you enjoy my musings.... 


First of all, I will begin with what was in my kitchen today.... I made Chicken Tortilla Soup (a Pinterest find) in the crock pot! The recipe (from  www.disneyfamily.com) is below:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

chicken tortilla soup



Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, drained (hot or mild, depending on preference)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 15-ounce cans of diced tomatoes, including juice
1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and pepper
4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips (I skipped adding these to the crock pot and just served tortilla chips on the side)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 avocado diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions

  1. Place chicken in Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 c chicken broth and cumin. Blend and pour over chicken.
  3. Cook on high for 3 hours. When chicken is tender, use the tines of 2 forks to shred. Adjust seasoning and add additional chicken broth if necessary.
  4. Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Stir to incorporate. Adjust seasoning to taste.
  5. Serve in soup bowls, topping each with shredded cheese, diced avocado and a squeeze of lime.

Serves: 4-6 Size: 3-6 quarts 

Mine looked a little more like this.... 
Either way it was yummy and really easy! My husband said the soup was good but offered constructive criticism... it needs some more spice..... so I have a little research to do the next time I make this. 

So that's my first post! So much more to come!